July 19, 2014

Tips and tricks: tray for my pencils

I've been drawing with pencils for a while now. My good colored pencils are all arranged in a flat sectioned box and my simple ones are in a wooden box just as they are, in a big pile. While drawing I usually take out only those pencils I think I'll be drawing with and put them on my desk. The problem is that sometimes they just roll down and break. To prevent that I decided to buy a little tray with velvet inside, like those for jewelry making or display. Just like this one.
The problem was that I wanted it right away and I couldn't find it anywhere nearby. So while asking for it in a local craft shop I was suggested to make one. I thought, why not? I love crafts! I love working with my hands! I bought a simple wooden tray and some velvet paper (apparently there is such a thing!) and went hope totally excited!

So I took my tray, put a light coat of acrylic varnish on it and simply glued the paper inside.

Obviously I made some mistakes measuring the tray and cutting the paper so I while gluing I had to cut and re-cut it several times. But hey, it was so worth it! Because after 10-15 minutes I had my own new velvet tray. It came a little bit pricey in the end - around $6 - but I really don't mind. I didn't have to browse for it for too long, I didn't have to order it and go to post office for it so I guess in the end it was a money well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment