February 21, 2014

Drawspace lesson N05: How to draw a cartoon frog


This is lesson N05 of a Drawspace art program. I am half way through the program. It has come to my attention that I should stop working on a printing paper and move on to something thicker. So from now on I'll be doing most of these sketches on 125gr paper. Just so you know.

An now to the lesson itself. It is about drawing a cartoon frog, front view. It is cute and the lesson was pretty easy.

I, for some reason, decided to share it here in its different stages.
This is the first outline.

This is the shading part.

This is the blended version.

I had such a great time doing this one. Of course, since one drawing is not enough, I decided to challenge myself with this Peacock tree frog.

So frst I made a rough sketch of the frog. Just some basic lines and forms.

Here I made a final outline and mapped basic highlights.

To do the shading I photoshopped the image and turned it into black and white. Then I began shading.

It was nice, I really enjoyed drawing this frog. It is sweet and powerful at the same time. Obviously, it took some time, but in all, I didn't have any difficulties with it.

P.S. While drawing I read a bit about frogs and found out that they shed  their skin every 5-6 weeks. A short Youtube search revealed that there's no proper video memorizing the moment. Pity, I really wanted to see how they do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment