November 02, 2013

Drawspace lesson I06: How to draw a feather

Hi hi,

Today we draw Feathers. Lesson I06 gives an explanation about the Feather's structure (quill, vane, shaft) and there's a usual show-and-tell of the how to draw it. So without too much talking let's begin.

This is the feather I did.

I don't really like it; it looks too much like a leaf. It is too round and clean. No fluffiness at all. I know there are straight and neat feathers, but one is over straight and over neat. Although, I'm sure that in the future this experience will help me to draw a better looking leaf, so it's all good.

In the meantime I found this to be my reference image for a Feather challenge.

And then I did this one.

These two definitely look better than the first one. I like Feather 2 a lot, it looks very realistic to me. Feather 3 suggested another difficulty I had to deal with for the very first time. The fact that a light object is placed on a dark background requires a different way of thinking and sketching. Although in general I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I hope you found this lesson useful.

Have a great day,
Dalia

No comments:

Post a Comment