October 16, 2013

How to draw: Drawspace lessons section H - thoughts and conclusion

Hi all!

This is a very special post. It is special since it's the first time I will be concluding a section. I'm done with Section H (finally!), the one that dealt with human drawing. As far as of now it was the most challenging section for me. Mainly because I don't intend to draw a human figure. With that said I totally understand that as an illustrator I will have to deal with the subject at some point; I will not maybe have to create a realistic human body/face but time will come when I'll have to draw a human look like cartoon. And I won't be able to do that until I learn to draw a human figure properly.

Going through the sketches I did for this section I realize that I've learned very little - there were almost no challenges and I didn't bother to create them myself. I know that this is the biggest mistake I've made so far but there was a good reason for that. I do want to go on with the program and complete it as soon as possible. I want to practice the easy things first and then move on to those I find the hardest. It's like in a school exam: solve the easiest problem first, then move on to the hardest. That's exactly the reason I created my "Drawspace lessons to repeat" list - to remember what to go back to.

The thing with the human figure is the same as with any other subject you learn to draw, be it a simple vase, a Rose or a child's face - you have to practice! One chewed sketch will not do! Never! Practice is everything. But I do believe that if you practice, concentrate on a subject and draw it constantly, you will master it. Last year, 2012, I committed to a flower drawing. I dedicated a full month to the subject, looking for different ways to draw each and every one of them. I won't tell that I can draw a Rose from a memory now, but I'm sure that if I have one before my eyes I will be able to do it better than if I would 3 years ago.

With that said, I will be moving to section I of a Drawspace art program.

Have a great day,
Dalia

No comments:

Post a Comment