July 16, 2013

Drawspace Lesson D08 - How to blend an image (drawing a Billy Blob Blended)

Hi all,

and welcome to Lesson D08 of a Drawspace art program.

Today's lesson is about blending values. The idea is simple. You create some different levels of shading and blend them using a tissue paper into a perfect smooth surface.
I am familiar with this technique. Like any other child I used to blend pencil shading with my own finger to make it smooth and perfect. And afterwards I usually cursed and ran into the bathroom to wash my forearm since it was up to elbow dirty. Don't get me wrong, I am not afraid of getting dirty but somehow this method never felt right to me. I don't know why. Maybe now it will feel different. We'll see.

Anyways, the task is simple. Draw an amorphyc figure. Squirkle your way from edges to center. Blend the shading. Repeat with a softer pencil. Blend again. Repeat and then draw the face of the character. The challenge - do several different forms.

But first - we practice and draw a rectangle.










When I started drawing the actual Blob, I first did a bit of a planning. I first found the actual "face" of a blob and only then began shading.































These two, which actually were part of the challenge exercise, made me thinking. I've realized that I am still waiting for the lesson that will explain the logics behind shadow placement. About how one decides on where the light source comes from and how exactly does it affect the drawn object. But I guess I should be patient and wait a little bit longer.




















This is it for now. I hope you found this lesson asfun and useful as I did.

Have a great day,
Dalia

No comments:

Post a Comment