March 12, 2012

If you want for things to happen - make them happen!

Some time ago I got a preposition for an illustration. I was asked to draw 4 people standing in the kitchen, fairy tale style and I had 5 days to do it.

The more I thought about it the scarier it became. And the reason was simple: I didn't really know how to draw people. The only experience I had with drawing a human figure was when I designed this wedding invitation for friends. It took me several months to get to the results I was almost satisfied with. But to tell you the truth? That just wasn't enough. It was really interesting, I was learning, but definitely not the right way. Because it didn't stick.

So I didn't apply to this project and stayed with a bitter taste in my mouth. I realised - and that was the insight, as cliche as it might sound - that if I want for things to happen I have to make them happen.

What I mean is that if I really want to become an accomplished illustrator I must start drawing more. Much much more. Not to do it for 2-3 hours a day every other day. And not just for the sake of this blog - and yes, unfortunately it already happened too. I want to draw for the purpose of self development and growth. Every single day. Quick sketches. Not necessarily a detailed one's. I must start sharpening my skills. One flower a month is just not enough. It won't lead me anywhere, and even if it will - it will be a very, very long journey.

So with that in mind - to draw a lot - I add two more goals/items to my 2012 resolution checklist.
1. Till the end of the year I must learn how to draw a human figure.
2. I shall draw every single day for at east an hour. And to make it visible I will mark everyday in my calendar to see if I really withstand my own commitment.
I just hope I will be able to make it happen.

Wish me luck and have a productive day,
D.

No comments:

Post a Comment