March 15, 2009

Start drawing - From simple shape to character



A few years ago, when I was an art student, my teachers used to tell us over and over again:"Have a sketch book. Do lots of sketches. Draw!!!" But for some reason, I haven't. I didn't even have a proper sketch book. And I rarely draw after I passed my basic drawing course. Didn't really have any time to, being too busy worrying about other subjects.

These days I've realized how important drawing is.

You see, a couple of months ago I started working with Adobe Illustrator. While trying to master the software, I've realized one thing: it has to be a sketch based. I realized that I better have some reference image before I start doing something. And since I wanted my illustrations to be based on my own sketches, there was nothing for me to do than, well, start sketching. So, as usual, I started my search.

I found this lovely book called Fun with a Pencil
by Andrew Loomis, where he presents a simple method of drawing from basic shapes. It took me quite a while to get myself into this method, but results were more than satisfying. I would even say that most of the images I've created during these months are based on this method. It is simple, cute and has some great examples in it. So if you are a beginner, this book is definitely for you.

What do you think? Do you have other methods and books that you found useful when started drawing?

No comments:

Post a Comment